Monday, May 7, 2012

Jacey's Ability Camp - Week Three

Oh week three...you were my Everest!!!! This week or "hump week" as I liked to call it has now officially ended, Thanks Goodness! It began a little rough and was challenging but finished strong and surprisingly upbeat. My mom left on Sunday, and I was a little lost being by myself. I felt like a weenie as there are 2 other moms here who only had help for the first and last week and were rockin' it. (My justification was that they had been here before, so I could be a baby as it was my first time...right?) Anyways I got into the habit of things and developed a routine and schedule for myself, laundry, vacuuiming, washing down EVERYTHING and sleeping in a bit even. The rest of the time was just Jacey and I, we really worked on developing our relationship. She wanted to develop it in my arms, on my lap, hanging onto my pants and or not being more than 2 feet away from each other. I would have liked to have developed it from more of a distance hehe. However, that being said, by the end of the week she was way less clingy and even ventured off a few times with the other kids into the play room while I did a few meals or sat "close" to another adult while I tidied things up. Jacey had a rough start to the session week. She was very upset Monday to Friday when I would drop her off and even began crying whenever we went to the kitchen, which is attached to the class. I think she thought that anytime we went there she had to go to class. Poor kid! She endured time outs on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday but didn't have any on Thursday or Friday. (Halle-friggin-lujah) Also we had a pee and a poop in the potty this week....very big deal, quite excited, thought about baking her a brown cake. =) Jacey was still quite "independant" this week and arching off alot of things, but she started really working hard in class and not being as upset or "vocal" as they put it. Jacey had more success in class with her being less upset, it was mostly just during drop off and a few program portions that she didn't like instead of screaming for 4 HOURS STRAIGHT!! (Remember from last week, the capital letters, and sad mommy?) She was participating and doing her activities and not falling asleep, which I think means morning naps cut out permanently. Jacey was sitting nicely at lunch and helping me feed herself and not crying when I would go get more napkins like last week. WHEWPH! Things are starting to turn around for this little lady. She is also sitting way longer independantly and can slide herself around four edges of a stool and transfer toys to each hand and throw them in a basket and side step through a ladder and lift her legs and step high into a high ladder. She is really changing and has more stamina in her walker which I need to be a little bit better at making her use more throughout the day. We are more successful on the potty, although we're still not a big fan of sitting on it. Jacey is just killing it!! Proud Mama!! As for me and my mental health. I know some family members were concerned as my sparkling, winsome personality wasn't showing through as it usually is. I am back in the game! I feel way better about our situation, more on top of my schedule, less concerned about Jacey's scream fests and clingyness (as they have dissipated some) and just more myself. I gotta say, the first three days I was just tired, crabby, sick of the clingyness, and really convincing myself that this was great. But by the end of the week, I didn't have to convince too hard. Also having Mr. Bird coming to join me in two sleeps helps as well. This weekend was great, she went to sit with other people and didn't holler. I was concerned as to when to run and shower because she is kind of a light sleeper in the morning and people are noisy (grrr and slam doors...for the love people) and there have been a few times she is up before me. So morning was out and then we are together for the rest of the day, but we made friends...with a Newfie Nanny!!! She is here with her husband who is in the adult stroke program and while he is in Hyperbarics on the weekend she came to our room and hung with the Bird girl so I could run and shower. It was heavenly and Jacey didn't even wig out...I think the accent is comforting. hehe Last night was a bit challenging as Jacey was up from 12-4...I know right?!?! And I had a really hard time being nice to her from about 2:30 on, but she survived and I went back to bed after dropping her off at class. It made for a long day, but Jacey was a champ in class and had hardly any upset times they said except for drop off. She also did another pee today, Woot Woot for the potty stickers!! Well guys, there is less than 2 weeks left. I am so glad Jon is coming soon and we can trade off duties and have some support. Jacey will be so excited to see him and he will be shocked at her differences. She is such a big girl now, there is no more baby girl around here. Very independant, very determined and very capable as it turns out. We just need to take a step or two back and let her try it all out. It is a new world for this kid and she is excited to get into it! I tear up a bit writing that as I think about her future more than I ever did before, I was a live each day kinda person because who knows about the future and I didn't know how to handle it yet. But I see such potential in her and a real drive and I know that this kid has places to go and things to do. I love her so much and am so grateful she is mine and I get to be the one to teach her, and help her develop. What a sweet, sweet choice spirit she is. Thanks for all the love and support! We love and miss y'all! - A

4 comments:

Amie & Ryland said...

Love you guys!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, that sounds like an action packed week for both the physical and emotional abilities! Good for you guys! I am happy to hear that Jacey is having a great week that is stretching her! That is awesome! Sounds like she is getting to be a big girl now and that is exciting and sad to watch all at once. You are such an amazing mom! Hope next week is a gooder too!
Tammy Shafer

Nanny & Poppy said...

We are so proud of both of you!!!!
We are so excited to see the progess our Miss Jacey has made :)

Just one more sleep and Jonathan will be there to help out....

Love and miss you both
Nanny & Poppy

The Stannix's said...

So glad things went well this week! You're a super strong lady and I admire you a lot cousin! Keep up the great work with your girl! She's a light and example to us all! Love ya!